A day to remember

Russ Steele

I was awakened by the telephone, and the voice on the other end said, “Where is Cait?” It was our oldest daughter calling from Sacramento. “A plane from Boston crashed into the World Trade Center,” she explained. Our youngest was living in Boston where one of the commercial aircraft was from that crashed into one of the World Trade Center Towers.  Her sister was concerned she might have been on one of those planes from Boston.  I raced to the TV just in time to see the second plane crash into the second tower.  We called your youngest daughter on her cellphone and she was OK.  Shaken, but OK. Ellen and I spent the rest of the day glued to the TV, unsure of what to do next.

We all remember where we were that fateful day! Now we need to remember those civilians and first responders who gave their lives that fateful day ten years ago.   We must however, not forget the terrorist who attacked us on that day, as they will attack us again if given the opportunity.

Pause and remember, but stay vigilant.


About Russ Steele
Freelance writer and climate change blogger. Russ spent twenty years in the Air Force as a navigator specializing in electronics warfare and digital systems. After his service he was employed for sixteen years as concept developer for TRW, an aerospace and automotive company, and then was CEO of a non-profit Internet provider for 18 months. Russ's articles have appeared in Comstock's Business, Capitol Journal, Trailer Life, Monitoring Times, and Idaho Magazine.

4 Responses to A day to remember

  1. gjrebane says:

    Jo Ann and I were staying with friends a few hundred yards from your house Russ. Daughter Sini called our cell to wake us – “Daddy, turn on the TV. The world has changed.” Prescient and on the mark. We tumbled downstairs in time to see the second airliner impact the second tower.

  2. Kim Pruett says:

    I had just dropped my Mom off at the Sacramento Airport and was driving home, while driving back to Nevada County, I listened to the first and second planes hitting the worlkd trade center live on talk radio and was horrified and distraught. I hurried home to wake Barry and Lilly of the news(I was pregnent with Maggie at the time). Barry reminded me that I had just put my Mom on an airplane headed back east, and I panicked. We spent the rest of the day on the telephone with American Airlines trying to locate my Mom. Thankfully, they re-routed her airplane (her flight was the last one to leave Sacramento that morning) and it was escorted back to Sacramento with fighter jets on each wing, we found out later that it was the last one to return as well. She was stuck in the Sacramento Airport for two days and they would not let anyone from the outside in until they had things secured. It was a hellish experience for us all, but we were the lucky ones, her plane was not one of the highjacked ones and she was safe. 10 years later, I will never forget each moment of that day and will forever remember the sacrafices our fireman, first responders, military and all those innocent lives that have been lost.

  3. RL Crabb says:

    I was watching George Bush reading to kids on C-span, only half paying attention until he started talking about a terrorist attack. I immediately changed the channel to the networks, shortly after the second plane hit. Then word came of the Pentagon. My brother-in-law worked at the Pentagon. It was a very tense time, waiting for word of his safety. He was finally able to call out around nine that night, and the family and I breathed a sigh of relief. Later he told us that he worked in an adjacent building and heard the plane go over.

  4. I am embarrassed to say I was home drinking a cup of joe when my phone rang. I had the TV on and always do mute when the phone rings. Well, it was the soon to be ex-wife I was divorcing and she was yelling at me for some reason right out of the gate. I yelled back (I am so ashamed, LOL) and while she was yelling I saw the second plane hit the tower. She was still yelling when I said she look at the TV as I hung up the phone. At first I thought it was a fake. It was a terrible day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: