Scatters Shots 07-30-12
07/31/2012 1 Comment
- I have updated the Nevada County employment numbers based on the top 50 companies in the the County. From February to June the Top 50 lost 195 jobs, down from 85 jobs a year ago. More details at Jobs Tab.
- I have updated the Nevada County Tourism numbers at the Tourism Tab above. The Food/Beverage/Accommodations remains essentially flat, with a 2 job increase from February to June in the Top 50. The shocker was the 99 job loss in the Service/Leisure segment.
- The County Tourism website traffic is increasing and may have influenced the Food/Beverage/Accommodations number above.
- PG&E continues to send letters requesting permission to put a device on our AC unit so they can control it’s use during high demand via the SmartMeter grid. The caption on the letter is An easy $50 dollars for you. An easy way to help California. According to the letter over 145,000 PG&E Customers have enrolled in the SmartAC program. My answer was a strong NO. Unable to control the sun and the wind, PG&E wants to control my power consumption during the summer months.
- India’s power grid has collapsed three times in two days, as demand exceeds capacity. One of the reasons given is the growing list of environmental regulations that are restricting coal production, which is the main fuel used in power generation plants. Increasing regulations have restricted the use of coal power in California, while mandating the use of alternative energy sources that may not be capable of keeping up with demand, thus PG&E’s request to control my AC use. We are fortunate that so far our summer temperatures are relatively mild.